Theme for the Year 2015



Saturday, December 7, 2013

Elder and Sister Smith

Dear Family and Friends,                                   7 December 2013
I couldn’t help but think about the event that took place on this date back in 1941.  The attack on Pearl Harbor that changed the history of the World. It’s hard to believe that 72 years have passed since that day and how much the world has changed since then.  I am grateful for the Lord’s blessing on the US and helping the Allied Forces defeat the Axis powers.
This past week has been one of mixed production.  On Monday, we were able to image 1961 images.  It was a phenomenal day because the books that we are doing now aren’t really the easiest one to capture images from. But, with the Lord’s help we persevere and continue forward. Tuesday we didn’t get nearly that many images done and got an email from our co-worker, working in Valparaíso stating that he had two shuttles for us. So after working most of the day on Wednesday, we went over to Valparaíso to get the shuttles. By the time we got back, the day was done and so we headed back to the apartment from there.  Thursday we had 62 books to transfer from the computer to the shuttle. This, plus we imaged two more books and put them on the shuttle also and then headed to Valparaíso once more. Instead of getting off at our normal stop by the University, we decided to ride the bus a little further up the route so that we wouldn’t have to climb up and down the stairs that traverse a gully that lies between the University and the cemetery.  Come to find out that the bus went within a couple of blocks of the cemetery and we wouldn’t have to do the stair route.  So we learned a valuable lesson that my knees really appreciated. We got the shuttle to Misael and he was going to take it to Santiago early Friday morning when he made the trip.  On the way back, we decided to stop at the “Relój de Flores” (Flower Clock) and take some pictures with the different colored flowers that it has now.  I also managed to get a small video of the clock.  It’s been in existence now for a little over 50 years and is one of the major attractions of the city.  It was a nice day, so we walked back to the apartment from there. On Friday, we were able to get back into the swing of things and managed to image four more books.
Our health has been pretty good, although Colleen seems susceptible to colds as she has another one and is starting to get over it. We are trying some different things for her to learn Spanish and she is doing pretty well.  She just needs to gain some confidence and just “trust the force”.  She can read it pretty well, although she has a tendency of using the English pronunciation for some of the values.  It’s not that she doesn’t know them, she just gets a little lazy and reverts back to them.  Overall though, I think that she is doing terrific.  She’s still a little frustrated with this aspect of the mission and so I would ask you along with me to say a prayer on her behalf to be able to comprehend what she is learning and put it to practicable use daily.
Colleen went on a little excursion with Sister Hugie Monday evening to a Graduation/Christmas program presented by the Down’s Syndrome children (some of them were 40+ years old) but I’ll let her explain what they did and where she went prior to that. Sister Hugie and I had a great night.  We went to the Christmas Feria and she was able to get some lights and bulbs for the Mission office Christmas tree.  I was able to get one surprise for Dad.  It is in hiding.  We then went to get a sandwich and the usual is that I usually get something down the front of me.  This time it was Sister Hugie’s turn and we had a good laugh at that. I told her that she was playing me.  We then went to this old theater and they did some graduation things for all the children from young to older.  Sister Hugie’s children are the older ones.  Some are 42.  The younger ones then did dances and they did dances to American songs.  :o)  The older children put on Grease.  It was really great.  They danced and sang and took the parts of the people in the play.  I loved the music and they were so cute taking the parts.  Sister Hugie said that it is so hard for them to do the moves like they did.  At the very beginning they played Moon River and two men (boys) were holding blue fabric to look like water.  She said that she was surprised that the one did not get up as his girlfriend as doing a love scene with another boy.  It was fun.  She also told me that two couples do international dance competition of their folk dance and every year they both take 1st and 2nd.  She pointed them out.  She is very proud of her students. 
We were able to call Mom and Dad and congratulate them on their 71st wedding anniversary.  Way to go Mom and Dad.  I also understand that my sister updated the family list of names, address, and telephone numbers.  I won’t say that I’m totally disappointed with her! I am glad and appreciate her doing that but totally embarrassed to say that I’ve not heard one little “Hi.  Love You.” from her since we’ve been here.  (How’s that for pressure Sis!)
Well I’ll let Colleen finish this letter and we’ll get it out today or tomorrow.  Thanks everyone for all you do for us.  We do appreciate your emails and pictures. We’ll even try to respond to them individually when we get them. For now Chau!
Un Abrazo a todos.  Elder y Hermana Smith, Ken & Colleen, Mom and Dad, etc.
P.S.  My new favorite phrase is “Gracias por su sonrisa.”  You will have to look that up.  Love you all.  Have a wonderful week.  Just me!  :o)


1 comment:

  1. "Thank you for you smile" we miss you! we can all be blessed by your letters, they uplift and give us hope! God bless, Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete