|
Nov 24 (1 day ago)
![]() | ![]() ![]() | ||
| ||||
Dear
Family and Friends, 24 de
noviembre de 2013
We would
like to thank each of you personally for your prayers on our behalf and let you
know that they are effective and are much appreciated on our part. The week has flown by and we have had some
beautiful days and some not so beautiful days.
The weather has been in the mid 70s and we have enjoyed it a lot. Most
mornings are cloudy, as typically coastal areas are, but then, usually, it
clears up to a clear beautiful day. We have to thank the Lord for blessing us
with this experience every morning.
The work
at the cemetery is progressing at the pace of about three books a day. These books are very difficult to do because
there are different size within each book.
When I say book, you probably visualize in your mind a book that you
take off the shelf – such as a novel and read. The pages are all of uniform
size and makes for easy turning the pages.
Well, the books we are imaging are pages of different sized paper sent
to a binder to be made into a book. So you have letter sized pages, legal sized
pages, half pages, third pages, etc. So
it’s a challenge and normally takes us anywhere from2 to 2 ½ hours to do one
book. The average image count per book
would be around 380 to 450. The largest
book we’ve done so far had over 600 images.
We had a
visit from the Mission President and his wife last Wednesday. They had come to see what it was that we are
doing. In reality, he hasn’t had a clue as to what we do because he’s never had
Record’s Preservation Missionaries before. We took them step by step through the
process, focusing, white board (balancing of light), Gray scale, etc (which
doesn’t mean a whole lot to you, but basically is the calibration of the camera
prior to begin imaging). Then we began to do the imaging slowly so they could
see the process. I think it was very
highly educational for the President. He
asked how much time we spent each day doing this and I replied 8 hours Monday
through Friday. I think it was also an
eye opener for him. Sister Kähnlein took
lots of pictures and will put them in the Mission blog
(misionvinadelmar.blogspot.com ). It was a good visit and I think the President
has a better appreciation for what we are doing.
We’ve
had a couple of interesting experiences this week. A couple of weeks ago we met Julio while we
were walking up to the cemetery. We had
tried to contact him to set up a time to visit with him, but he wasn’t home the
day we went. We tried calling, but our phone said we weren’t authorized to make
that call. So Tuesday as we were walking
to the cemetery, we run across Julio again.
He was talking to his friend Antonio and asked us why we hadn’t come
by. So I explained that we had tried
knocking and ringing the bell but that he wasn’t home. He said that he had been really busy and that
this week wouldn’t be good but to call next week. So we will try again. He’s a very likeable individual and so it
will be fun talking to him and explaining a little about the church.
The
other experience I will relate happened yesterday when we went to Lider
(supermarket) to get our weekly food trough full. As we were walking down the “egg” aisle, a
young lady dress in full western regalia noticed our name tags and began
talking to us. She was enchanted with
the missionaries she had seen in her town of Quilpué, dressed in their white
shirts, ties, clean shaven and short hair and had been duly impressed. We talked about how she had never known that
the Messiah was actually Jesus Christ and how she had felt good in her heart
when she learned that. I told her that
it was the Holy Ghost that was testifying to her of this truth. We also talked about where she came from
(before her mortal existence), what is her purpose for being on this earth, and
what happens to us when we die. I told
that these things were explained in a book that God had given us that answered
these type of questions. I explained that we had a prophet that receives
inspiration and revelation from God directly so that he in turn can pass God’s
will is concerning us. I explained that I if she would give me her name,
address and phone number, I would have two missionaries come to her home and
explain all of this. It was an interesting experience and only goes to prove
that the Lord puts us into situations so that we can share the gospel. I’ll be
interested to here from the missionaries how Vielka received the message.
Well
this is a short one. I just wanted to
share those experiences with each of you.
I want all of you to know that the Church is true, that we have a living
prophet that guides and directs the affairs of the Lord’s kingdom here on the
earth. We are grateful and blessed for the opportunity that we have to be on
this mission and be in Viña del Mar. The
country is great, the people are wonderful and we enjoy both. Besides, I have
the best looking companion in the mission.
She is doing great with the language and is improving every day. She’s even saying her prayers in
Spanish. I understand her and the Lord
understands her and that’s all that counts. Soon she’ll begin to understand
more than me and that’s a scary thought.
Happy
Birthday to Lexi. You can expect a call
from your grandmother tomorrow. To the rest, hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving
and all the fixin’s that go with it.
Enjoy each other’s company and enjoy your friends and families. May the
Lord bless you and keep you safe. Love y
un abrazo a todos.
Elder y
Hermana Smith
P.S
Here
is
my little wonderful experience. We went
to the Farria and Lider with the Daniels and Sister Hugie. They did not
have some of the things I needed
at Lider for some of the things I want to fix for dinner this week. You
cannot find canned soup here. Most of my recipes call for either cream
of
chicken or cream of mushroom soup. We
were told that sometimes you can find them at Jumbo. (They did not have
them this time.) So when
we got back from our shopping I asked Dad if we could go to Jumbo. We
decided to walk. There is a sporting complex just down from us
and you can walk through it without cost, but to drive through it cost
money. It is a large complex and we
usually go around. We decided to go
across the complex. It was a beautiful
walk actually. There were many soccer
games going on. On our way over to Jumbo
it looked like teenagers playing. When
we came back it looked like older men playing.
Anyway, we walked out the other gate and then went though some
subdivisions. It was beautiful and we
saw some new flowers and the homes looked like they were more expensive
and
mostly very well kept. It was a nicer
neighborhood. We were away from the main
traffic and it was peaceful and much quieter.
It did not seem to take as long going this way and we walked both
ways. We did stop and watch the older
men’s game for a few minutes. It was a
nice peaceful afternoon and very relaxing.
It was my favorite time yesterday.
I guess
that Chile has fireworks for New Years.
We have been invited to the Daniels to celebrate New Year’s and watch
the Fire Works. They have a wonderful
view and they will be moving into a new apartment by the 1st and
that apartment has an even better view.
We hope that they are in the new one but they both will have great
views. They live right across from the
beach. We look forward to celebrating
with them.
We love
you all and appreciate all that you doing for us. We know that the Lord is blessing us here in
Viña del Mar.
Take
care and may the Lord bless you with all that you need. Love Mom

No comments:
Post a Comment